Islet of Vila Franca do Campo Reserve Tour
Duration: 3 hours Super Easy
Why we love this tour
See upclose a volcanic marvel: the Islet of Vila Franca do Campo off-coast protected natural reserve. Learn more about its geology, and living fauna and flora!
- Access Off-coast Reserve
- Naturalist/Biologist Guide
- Observe Resident Wildlife
At the appointed hour, meet us at the Vila Franca do Campo Marina to check in.
The tour begins with a brief introduction to the geology of the volcanic islet, types of plants and animals that can be found there, the rules of the nature reserve, and safety. Everyone will follow the guide and skipper to their assigned boat, where they will cruise to the islet for 10 minutes by sea.
At the harbor of the islet, you will disembark for an hour and a half-long tour of the volcanic wonder and its infamous features. A number of bird species, including Buzzards, Turnstones, Sanderlings, Little Egrets, Whimbrels, Canaries, Wagtails, and even Sally lightfoot crab colonies, can frequently be seen in the islet crater, which is rocky and home to endemic Azorean Heather, Firetree, and other plant species.
All seasons are abundant in life, but notably the fall and winter. Your tour guide will keep you updated on what you are seeing and is accessible the entire time to answer any specific questions, so don't be shy about asking!
At 16:15, it's time to board the boat for a tour of the Islet before returning to the marina to check out.
Need to know before you go
- Eat light, and bring your personal water supply, sunscreen and chapstick for the Sun. Light food is permitted, and a Camera is essential, especially for photography lovers - protect any personal equipment.
- NOT FOR pregnant, with weak back, in wheelchair or delicate health conditions, or under the age of 4.
- Bathing is not permitted at this time of the year for protection of species.
- NOT for anyone pregnant, with weak back, in wheelchair, in delicate health condition, or children under the age of 4.
- Reservations are at all times subject to rescheduling to availability requirements, safety, and weather conditions.
- English is the official language, but our team is multinational and will do their best to accommodate your preferred language (this is not guaranteed).
How to get to us:
From Ponta Delgada city center by auto, head East along the coast and follow directions to Vila Franca do Campo. Once in Vila Franca do Campo, descend towards sea level and the Marina where our Base and Yellow Boats are stationed - and Free Parking can be found. Directions from Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/?saddr=Current+Location&daddr=Azores+Whale+Watching+Terr a+Azul
Changes with up to 24 hours notice from scheduled departure times are free of charge. Changes after 24 hours preceding departure times, or being late, will be fully charged.
TERRA AZUL Base Marina of Vila Franca do Campo 4, 9680-187 São Miguel - Azores Islands, Portugal
GPS: 37.715780, -25.429745
Provided byAzores Whale Watching Terrazul
What our customers say about us
You might also like
Birdwatching Expedition Boat Adventure
Join a marine wildlife expedition to explore hidden places and observe the season’s birds!
Whale Watching And Islet Boat Tour, Azores
Join an exciting Marine Wildlife tour with Biologists and Naturalists, to see and learn more about Whales, Dolphins, Turtles, Fish, Birds, and the season's marine biodiversity of the Azores Islands!