Lagoa do Fogo Volcanic Geo Tour
Duration: 4 hours Easy
Why we love this tour
Guided tour to Volcano Lagoa do Fogo - enjoy magnificent island views, learn about volcanoes and bathe at warm hotsprings!
- Caldeira Velha hot springs
- Salto do Cabrito cold waterfall
- Magnificent island views
- Beautiful lush green flora
At the appointed hour, meet us at the Vila Franca do Campo Marina to check in.
The day begins with a brief introduction, followed by a van tour up the Volcano crater and protected Nature Reserve of Lagoa do Fogo, stopping at Pico da Barrosa, Lagoa do Fogo, and Bela Vista viewpoints for photos of some of So Miguel's best island views, the 15.000-year-old crater of the "lake of fire," its endemic flora, dramatic surroundings, and the Atlantic.
At 15:00, descend the crater mountain in a northerly direction, passing the environmental center of Caldeira Velha for details on the geothermal resources, biodiversity, and volcanic origin of the islands. You can choose to have a thermal bath in Caldeira Velha's hot springs, or you can continue on to Salto do Cabrito's refreshing cool waterfall, which is surrounded by unspoiled, stunning, rich green flora.
If you still have time, continue down the mountain to Ribeira Grande's historic district and its recently discovered 16th-century fountain, Largo de So Pedro, before relaxing at northern Santa Barbara Beach.
It's time to return to the Marina to check out at 17:30.
Need to know before you go
- Hot Springs’ mineral water will damage swimwear color - bring one you can spare!!
- Eat light, and bring your personal water supply, sunscreen and chap-stick, and warm clothing. Light food is permitted, a camera is essential (pref. with zoom), binoculars are recommended - protect any personal equipment.
- NOT FOR anyone pregnant, with weak back, in wheelchair, in delicate health condition, or under the age of 4.
- Reservations at all times subject to rescheduling to availability requirements, safety and weather conditions.
- English is the official language, but our team is multinational and will do their best to accommodate your preferred language (this is not guaranteed).
- Children of ages up to 13 must be accompanied by at least one adult.
How to get to us:
From Ponta Delgada city center by auto, head East along the coast and follow directions to Vila Franca do Campo. Once in Vila Franca do Campo, descend towards sea level and the Marina where our Base and Yellow Boats are stationed - and Free Parking can be found. Directions from Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/?saddr=Current+Location&daddr=Azores+Whale+Watching+Terr a+Azul
Changes with up to 24 hours notice from scheduled departure times are free of charge. Changes after 24 hours preceding departure times, or being late, will be fully charged.
TERRA AZUL Base Marina of Vila Franca do Campo 4, 9680-187 São Miguel - Azores Islands, Portugal
GPS: 37.715780, -25.429745
Provided byAzores Whale Watching Terrazul
What our customers say about us
You might also like
Birdwatching Expedition Boat Adventure
Join a marine wildlife expedition to explore hidden places and observe the season’s birds!
Whale Watching And Islet Boat Tour, Azores
Join an exciting Marine Wildlife tour with Biologists and Naturalists, to see and learn more about Whales, Dolphins, Turtles, Fish, Birds, and the season's marine biodiversity of the Azores Islands!