Reindeer Sledding and Sámi Culture
Duration: 5 hours Easy
Why we love this tour
You will discover Norwegian culture and landscapes by the oldest known transportation in the north - reindeer sledding!
- Reindeer sledding through the nature
- Discover Sámi food, history and traditions
- Beautiful landscapes
- Feeding the reindeer
We want to give you the chance to learn more about Sámi culture while also having a great time reindeer sledding in the lovely North Norwegian wilderness!
The Sámi are the indigenous people of the North, and our Sámi guide wants you to understand their culture, both past and present, by tasting traditional Sámi food, seeing and learning about Sámi artifacts, and hearing fascinating stories.
As the oldest known mode of transportation in the north and center parts of the Sámi culture, reindeer sledding is an integral element of the experience. The sledding is done in a "raid" style, with each reindeer and sled tied together in a long line, with the lead reindeer in front.
We hope that by participating in this daytime tour, you will be enchanted by the intriguing reindeer and discover that you, too, adore our kind yet curious and furry creatures - our true heroes in the Arctic!
After the sled tour, you can go into the reindeer fence and join the daily feeding with the big herd - many of the reindeer will even eat from your hand! Afterwards, it is time for dinner, and you'll head into the Gamme. Here you can enjoy a hot cup of coffee or tea, and enjoy Bithos - a traditional Sami dish.
Need to know before you go
What to bring:
- Warm clothes, especially hat and mittens
* If conditions change, we keep the right to amend the duration of the reindeer sledding.
* All animals used for these services are trained for the activity, however, the behavior of animals can be unpredictable and therefore it is essential that all participants follow all given instructions for their safety, and the safety of others.
* The sledding takes place as a "raid" where each reindeer and sled are bound together in a long row with the lead reindeer in the front.
* Sleds are shared, two participants on one sled (only people traveling together).
* Alternative: The Reindeer Sledding is subject to snow and when there is not enough snow we offer Reindeer Feeding and Saami Culture instead (NOK 1095 per person)
Photo author: Erica White, Katrine Reiersen
No refund will be provided for cancellations made less than 3 days (72 hours) prior to departure of your tour.
Radisson Blu Hotel, 09:45 (9.45am)
Sjøgata 7, 9259 Tromsø, Norway
Provided byTromsø Lapland
What our customers say about us
You might also like
Reindeer Feeding and Sámi Experience
You'll enjoy the untouched Arctic nature around you while feeding wonderful, fluffy creatures - reindeer!
Reindeer Feeding Under Aurora
You'll enjoy the connection with these magical creatures and increase your chances of spotting Aurora!