Full-day Tour of the Golden Circle, and Snorkeling at Silfra, from Reykjavik
Duration: 9 hours Easy Classical daytrip
Why we love this tour
Venture around Iceland's famous natural hotspots and snorkel in between continents at the Silfra fissure. This adventure-packed day is full of phenomenal views and endless fun.
- Snorkel in the Silfra Fissure
- Admire the landscape of Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Feel the spray from the Gullfoss waterfall
- See the active Geysir geothermal area
Come on an unforgettable tour with a small group to explore the famous Golden Circle. We visit the famous Thingvellir National Park, Gullfoss waterfall, Geysir, and the surrounding geothermal area. Faxi waterfall, and snorkeling between continents at Silfra fissure in the world's clearest waters.
The Silfra Fissue is located in Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Walk through a volcanic field covered in moss to get to the rocky canyon. Pull on your protective snorkeling gear and enter a world of blue. As you swim, you move across continents, as you will be switching back and forth from both the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates. You snorkel along the rift to Silfra Hall, the widest section of the fissure and the majestic Silfra Cathedral, the deepest section. End the visit with a swim in the stunning "Real Blue Lagoon."
Thingvellir National Park
Visit this UNESCO World Heritage site to see the fissure in the earth's crust where the North American and the Eurasian tectonic plates are moving away from each other. Few places in the world offer a better and clearer view of this massive geographic activity. The biggest natural lake in Iceland is also located at Thingvellir National Park and hosts a great variety of fish and bird life. Thingvellir is also an important place for Icelandic national history as this is where Icelanders founded their parliament in 930 A.D. and where the chieftains had their annual meeting every summer. The name “Thingvellir” translates to “Parliament Plains”.
The melting water from Iceland's second biggest glacier, Langjokull, falls into a deep canyon forming the majestic “Golden Falls”. On a sunny day, you can see the glacier Langjökull in the distance and enjoy a rainbow in the spraying mist of the waterfall, a picture perfect moment waiting to happen!
Geysir geothermal area
The Geysir geothermal area hosts hundreds of colorful hot springs and two geysers, erupting hot springs. One in particular, “The Great Geysir,” is where all the geysers in the world get their name. Today, however, it erupts very seldom. Another geyser called “Strokkur” erupts every 5 minutes up to 40 m (131 ft). Be prepared for a show!
Faxi waterfall may be smaller than the other ones on the trip, yet just it's just as stunning. As it's in the Tungufljót river, a famous salmon river, there is a salmon staircase built to extend the salmon areas of the river. During the summer months, fishermen are often seen trying their luck at the waterfall as the fish jump up the staircase.
Need to know before you go
Start time is 8:00 a.m.
Takes around 10 hours.
Please enter your accommodation in the booking form and the exact pickup time will be confirmed.
Participants must be between 45-120 kg (100-265 lbs), 150-200 cm (59-79 in), and 12-65 years of age.
Minimum age to participate is 12 years.
Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult or guardian.
You must sign and present the Medical Statement Form before the activity (you must be able to swim, physically fit)
If you are under 60, you can sign the form at the meeting point. Those over 60 must present a medical waiver (on page 2 of the form).
Pick up is available from designated areas in Reykjavik. Please enter your address in Iceland in the booking form.
What to bring? Warm clothes (first layer), waterproof clothing (second layer), hiking boots, and a smile.
Hiking boots are available for rent the day of the activity.
Important information. To be able to do this tour, you must be able to comply with the following requirements
- Have read, signed, and followed directions on the Snorkeling Silfra Medical Statement Form (to be sent after booking). You can sign the form at the meeting location.
- Be comfortable in the water and be able to swim.
- Communicate in English or have an interpreter with you at the time of the tour.
- Be physically fit.
- Not be pregnant.
- You must be ready to wear a tight and constricting dry suit to protect your body from the cold.
- You must be a minimum of 150 cm (59 in) and a maximum of 200 in (79 in) in height and weigh between 45-120 kg (100-265 lbs) along with being physically fit.
- You must be a maximum of 65 years of age to participate in this tour. If you are over 60 years of age, you need a medical waiver, available on page 2 of the medical form.
- You must be a minimum of 12 years of age to participate in this tour. Participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian booked on the same tour.
- If you are over 45 and partake/have partaken in pipe smoking or heavy alcohol intake, you need a medical waiver.
- Please note that should you have any neurological, circulatory or respiratory problems or underlying diseases, battled any illnesses or have any physical problems you might have to turn in a physicians allowance to participate in this tour.
Your booking will become valid after we receive your payment and send you a confirmation email.
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance with 100% reimbursement.
There is no reimbursement for later cancellations. In case of cancellation from our side due to bad weather, we will return your payment in full.
Your accommodation in Reykjavik
Please enter your accommodation in the booking form
Provided byTroll Expeditions
Reviews for this tour
21 Jun 2022
You might also like
5-hour Glacier Hiking Adventure in Skaftafell National Park
11 spots available for 17 Aug 2022
Discover the astonishing icy landscape of Skaftafell National Park on a dynamic glacier hike. Extend your time out on the frozen sheets of white and blue for an active adventure.
Blue Ice Cave Adventure & Glacier Hike in Skaftafell
2 spots available for 14 Sep 2022
Hike into a whole blue world. The ice caves of the Vatnajokull Glacier offer a mesmerizing trip through Iceland's frozen natural wonders.
Full-day South Coast Adventure and Glacier Hike on Solheimajokull, from Reykjavik
14 spots available for 17 Aug 2022
Discover southern Iceland's incredible natural diversity in a single day. Walk on black sandy beaches of Reynisfjara, the frozen surface of the Solheimajokull glacier, and next to the mists of the Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls.